I’m always trying to find new and delicious snack recipes for my kids’ lunchboxes. In one commercially-prepared muesli bar ingredient list I counted around 50 ingredients!! Many of the ingredients contain gluten, dairy, soy and nuts that some with allergies may not be able to eat and lots of added preservatives, colours and flavourings. I made this nut-free as most schools and childcare centres these days are nut-free. This recipe only has 7 ingredients and is so easy to make, it takes longer to bake than prepare! The best thing about these delicious morsels is that there is NO added sugar!!
My kids are the fussiest taste testers I know and they loved them. My son even requested the slice for his class on his 11th birthday next month!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste or allergies! The base is ripe bananas and dates – the rest is up to you! My recipe uses tahini and sesame seeds which may also be prohibited if you have an allergy to it but no fear, just use a seed butter such as sunflower seed butter or coconut oil instead. This helps to bind the bites together so you don’t lose any of your delicious ingredients. So enjoy!
Healthy Muesli Bites
A gluten, dairy & nut free, no added sugar lunch box snack that your kids will love!
- 1 cup dried dates
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp tahini / seed butter / coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2.5 cups quinoa flakes (I used a mix of quinoa flakes & millet but you could also use oats – then may not be suitable for those with Coeliac Disease)
- Preheat oven to 180oC / 350oF and line and grease small square pan with baking paper
- Blitz the dates until they are small and granulated, just before they become pureed (then it becomes so sticky it is hard to use).
- Add the bananas and tahini, blitz until well mixed and almost smooth
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well.
- Turn mixture out into the lined/greased pan, spreading out until even and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until edges become lightly browned.
- While cooling, cut the slice into 20 bites then put the pan into the fridge to cool completely. Store in the fridge in an air-tight container.
- Enjoy these delicious healthy bite-sized pieces of goodness!