I’ve been away for a while but now I’m back and even more excited to share my latest recipes with you all!
This carbonara recipe is a favourite in my family and I modified it to make Master 9 happy (my vegetarian-in-residence) and just to increase our vegetable intake at home. Adding vegetarian main meals to your weekly diet is a great way to save money in the budget and for weight loss – vegetables are chock full of fibre and low calorie keeping your appetite at bay and feeling full for longer. To up the fibre even more, choose wholegrain pasta.
Creamy pasta is delish but can be calorie-laden so here is a recipe for a pasta that uses eggs to give that delicious creamy mouth-feel without any cream added and best of all only uses 6 ingredients!
I roasted the vegetables to bring out their sweetness which adds another tasty dimension to this dish. You want to skimp only on calories – not on taste! Just spread out your vegetables evenly so that they roast and not steam.
When they are just starting to crisp and brown, remove and set aside. Meanwhile, add a crushed unpeeled clove of garlic to a warmed tablespoon of light olive oil to a pan. Once it has browned on both sides and imparted its flavour to the oil, remove it and pour in cooked pasta (whatever pasta you desire – I had spirals on hand but spaghetti or fettucine works really great in this dish too). Make sure you keep some of the water drained from the pasta after cooking.
Turn down the heat to its lowest setting and add your bowl of lightly beaten eggs combined with grated parmesan cheese to the pasta. Some recipes recommend that you take the pasta off the heat altogether but I found it worked best still lightly warmed. Be careful though – if you have the heat on too high it will turn your carbonara into scrambled eggs!
Now as you mix the egg, cheese and pasta mixture, also add in some of the reserved liquid you drained from the pasta until you reach a creamy consistency.
All you need to do is gently stir in the roasted vegetables and top with grated fresh parmesan. Delicioso! Mangiare!!
The Creamiest No-Cream Vegetarian Carbonara
A simple yet tasty creamy pasta carbonara packed full of roasted vegetables.
- 230 grams dried pasta
- 4 cups of vegetables of choice (I used zucchini, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower & brussel sprouts), chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled and crushed with the side of a knife
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated finely, more for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220oC (or 430oF).
- Spread prepared vegetables out on a lined tray and drizzle over 1 tbsp light olive oil, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Set aside.
- Boil pasta as per packet directions and drain, keeping 1/2 cup of the drained water for later.
- Add parmesan cheese to the egg mixture and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan/griddle at medium-high heat and fry the unpeeled garlic clove until brown on both sides then discard. This gives the oil a delicious garlic flavour. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and add the drained pasta to the pan.
- Carefully blend in the cheesy egg mixture to the pasta. Alternate this with a small amount of the set aside drained water until the creamy texture you desire is reached. If you see the egg beginning to cook too fast, take it off the heat and let the residual heat finish cooking the pasta.
- Add the roasted vegetables and top with a little extra parmesan cheese. Enjoy!